Wednesday 30 November 2011

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (2011) - Intertextual Reference

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (2011)
Intertextual Reference

Today (30 Nov 2011) I went shopping for some secondhand films to buy. I came across a film which I've only seen once. This film is called "7 Pounds" and stars Will Smith as the leading role. The film was released in 2008 and was directed by Gabriele Muccino. I thought this film was very art-like and very enjoyable.

An aerospace engineer with a fateful secret embarks on an extraordinary journey of redemption by forever changing the lives of seven strangers. - IMDb


After I bought this stunning film, I found an intertextual reference by looking at the front cover of the DVD. It reminded me of the posters which advertised "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (2011)".

Below is a comparison of a poster for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (2011) and 7 Pounds (2008).



Reasons Why I Believe It's An Intertextual Reference

  • Both posters have the leading actor from the film in the center looking directly at the viewer.
  • Both posters use "secret code words" hidden within the poster:
    7 Pounds (2008) have edited the names of key characters into the poster which appear in a bold colour.
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy (2011) has also edited in key names and code words such as "Soldier" and "Tinker" which appear within the poster.
  • Both posters use the colour red to signify important words.
  • Both posters have wording/lettering behind the actors.

2 comments:

  1. Good research and ideas, Austen - well explained with good detail.

    Take a look at this siute and see what you thinKk
    http://www.christophecourtois.blogspot.com/search/label/affiche

    There are English sites with this, but I can't find one that's not filtered at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I've taken a look at the site (I use Google Chrome so it'll translate any page in a different language) and I've found it very interesting. I like the idea behind the actors/actresses wearing glasses and the points made about the unicolor post. Could this be useful for the A-level to make another post about the link you've given me? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete