Thursday 15 December 2011

Controlled Assessment - December 2011


Controlled Assessment - December 2011

I chosen to do "Donnie Darko - The Director's Cut" (2004) (original 2001) as my chosen mock controlled assessment. I picked this film as critics highly enjoyed this instant cult-classic thriller sub-genre psychological film. I also enjoyed the film, and found it very interesting.

The thriller genre has many sub-genres. One of these is the psychological thriller. The psychological sub-genre can include normal conflicts between main characters which could lead to violence. This conflict is mental and emotional, rather than physical. As the conflict is mental and also emotional, it can possibly be something that wouldn't be scientifically possible in real life.

The film had many conventions, such as clocks, wide open spaces, lavatories, characters with dark pasts, triangles leading to murder, the interior of vehicles and many more, hence the reason why it's a strong thriller sub-genre film - even through the film has elements from other genres too, such as sci-fi and horror. I also chosen this film because of the response which I was given on my "Thrillers I've Watched" post. You can view this HERE.

However, as Miss pointed out below, the film is more a psychological dioma (drama? dilemma? - hard to read writing) and/or horror.

I understand the response which Miss has given me.




Below I have enabled a "Show/Hide" button so that your browser you are using will not crash while loading due to the file size of the images and CPU usage. Please click on these to show the images. You can click again to hide the images afterwards. I recommend 'showing' one image at a time. 














No comments:

Post a Comment